Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The power of the mind?!?

I had an interesting conversation this week with a good friend of mine. He is a Christian, but said that he's unsure what to make of my apparent healing. He said he is pretty cynical right now and so thinks that maybe it's all just in my subconcious. He thinks that because i am so convinced that i am healed, then my mind is subconciously able to stop my seizures! I appreciate his honesty. I can be quite cynical myself when i hear about people being healed, so i accept the fact that he is unsure and i'm glad he felt able to tell me. I don't agree with him - but it did make me wonder how many other people might also think that?! I'm quite sure that my relatives who aren't Christians will also put it down to the power of simple "faith" rather than faith in "God." 

Anyway, as i explained to my friend, i really don't believe that my mind has enough power to stop a seizure! Over the years i would constantly try to think myself out of them - but i NEVER could! I would quote Scripture to myself when i felt one coming on, or tell myself to trust God to uphold me, or would try and ignore them.... I would do EVERYTHING i possibly could to stop them, the battles that went on inside my head were at times pretty hilarious..... and even on the few occassions when i thought i was maybe healed, it NEVER succeeded in stopping a seizure! Quite simply, i could not control them. And so, i can't see how it could be possible for my mind to suddenly acquire the ability to stop them now. Seizures are caused by random firing of neurons, not a thought process. 

HOWEVER, despite all this, i am prepared to say that EVEN IF it was all in my mind - then even THIS is a miracle! If you want to believe it's all in my subconcious, that's fine - but my testimony would still be the same - GOD ALONE would have been the one to break into my subconcious and change it. I was powerless to change it myself. So, at the end of the day the reality is this: I had regular, pretty violent seizures.... and now i don't. Whether you want to believe that it was frontal-lobe epilepsy (which is the official diagnosis i had) or whether you think it was demonic, or insanity, or emotional-instability, or some other medical disorder, or simply all in my mind - whatever the case, i couldn't stop them - so the fact that they have now ceased is down to something greater than me. It's down to God alone. Think what you like about 'me' - but when it comes to God, i believe the following is true:

"See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no God beside me; I kill and i make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand." - Deuteronomy 32:39

No comments: