Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wing mirrors

Forgive me for the feeble analogy, but I was thinking a while back about wing mirrors. And i decided maybe life is a bit like driving a car. It's good to look in the wing mirror and be aware of what's behind you, but if you focussed only on the mirror, and not what's ahead and around you, then you'll almost certainly crash. I guess it works both ways and there has to be the right balance; of focussing on what's in front of you, whilst baring in mind what's behind you.... but to focus only on one, and completely ignore the other would be foolish. It's good to remember where you've come from, and remember what God has done for you. It's good to be aware of your weaknesses and what has shaped you, but it's equally good to remember what's ahead of you and what God promises. I think Scripture tells you to both remember and forget. It's a strange balance.....

"I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, i will remember your wonders of old." - Psalm 77.11

"Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, i am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.... to give drink to my chosen people, the people whom i formed for myself that they may declare my praise." - Isaiah 43:18-21

No comments: