Sunday, December 20, 2009

How vast beyond all measure

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son 
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the man upon a cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed i hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that IT IS FINISHED

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But i will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should i gain from His reward?
I can not give an answer
But this i know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.

- I like this song, by Stuart Townsend, i've had the lyrics stuck on my bedroom wall for 6 years. -

3 comments:

stranger.strange.land said...

I had never heard of that song before. Thank you Becky.

I linked to this post on Facebook, and posted the words (with a link) on Stranger in a Strange Land.

Craig B

stranger.strange.land said...

Becky.

My son Joseph told me that they sing this in his church, and that it is a great hymn. I wondered what the tune was, so I asked him about it.

His reply:
...The hymn is by Stuart Townsend; it's modern and not in public domain so that's why it's not in the cyber hymnal. The copyright is held by Thankyou Music, a division of EMI Christian. Short of buying a CD, you could probably get a clip of someone singing it on YouTube. The tune is really beautiful though.

Craig Boyd

stranger.strange.land said...

Sorry Becky. It should've been Townend, not "Townsend>" The mistake was mine.

Craig B