Monday, September 06, 2010

My soul clings to you..


"O God, you are my God, earnestly i seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So i have looked upon you in the sanctury, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you..... My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips... My soul clings to you; Your right hand upholds me." Psalm 63

I was thinking about this Psalm recently and am amazed by how it progresses and how different the second half is from the first. I'm so glad that neither half sounds alone, but that they are right there together. David wrote it in the wilderness and isn't afraid to declare the state of his thirst and weariness... yet He still chooses to praise God because of the truth of who God is and the truth of His love... and He clings to the promises He has.. that His soul will be satisfied.. completely and utterly satisfied. I don't know if David felt that satisfaction then or not, I don't know if he uttered those words through parched lips.. the fact that he says afterwards that his soul clings to God, suggests that maybe he was still feeling weak and still feeling thirsty, but was making that choice to cling to God and hope in Him nonetheless. Either way, i'm glad that it's written how it is.. I'm glad all the Psalms are written how they are.. that they don't shy away from the pain and agony of life, but they face it and acknowledge it and then offer hope...

No comments: