Friday, July 25, 2008

Not what i will?

"Faith laughs at impossibilities and cries it shall be done." - Hudson Taylor

"Nevertheless not what I will, but what you will." - Jesus, Mark 14.36

I have these two quotes on my bedroom mirror... the first is on paper and has been stuck up in my room for about 4 years. The second is scrawled across the glass in eyeliner and was added more recently. It is true that nothing is impossible with God and we can have faith that declares something will be done against the odds....... but Jesus also shows us the need to have a submissive heart that wants God's will above our own. There are some things that are out of our control. All we can do is submit to God's will and accept it.

Today i was thinking about that verse in a different way... i was thinking about how much i apply it to my every day life, at every moment... i feel like i say 'not what i will, but what you will'... but how much do i live by it? How finely tuned are my ears to hear God's will at each moment? Today i slept loads. I was tired, so half justified it in my head. But there were so many other things i could have been doing to help or bless others instead. Did i do His will today? or just my own? Mainly the later i think. And i'm afraid that's the case all too often. 

No comments: